India is a land of diversity with various cultures, traditions, religions all prospering together. If you truly want to enjoy this diversity and explore various cities and coastal towns, then the best way to do is through rail journeys. Indian railways network is the 4th largest in the world and there are several luxury trains in India that operate on various routes covering a large number of tourist destinations.
Let us see some of the luxury train journeys in India that cater to some of the well-known tourist circuits throughout the country.
- 1. Palace on Wheels: It is the best Indian Royal train and stands at number 4 among the world’s best luxury trains. Launched way back in 1982 on the occasion of Republic day, the train was relaunched with more facilities and absolutely new look in 2009. It is meant to promote tourism in one of the most colourful states of India: Rajasthan. The train along with its 14 coaches touches the places of royal past like Bharatpur, Bikaner, Bundi, Jaisalmer, Jaipur, Dungargarh, Jhalawar, Kota, Jodhpur, and Udaipur.
- Maharaja Express: This is the newest addition in the luxury segment and one of the costliest one too. It is a joint venture of the Indian Railways and the travel agency Cox and Kings. This train covers a total of 12 destinations in 5 circuits, all in the North-Western and Central part of the country. A journey in this train that is equipped with all world class facilities like a lounge with a private bar, suite bathroom etc., costs anything between 2.75 to 10 lakhs.
- The Golden Chariot: This luxury train India caters to the tourists’ spots in the southern India. It was started by KSTDC and is named after the ‘Stone Chariot’ of Hampi. It offers two different travel itineraries. One called the Pride of South, which covers the states of Goa and Karnataka and other is called the Southern Splendor starting from Bangalore going to Pondicherry, Chennai, Madurai, Thiruvananthapuram and all the way to Kochi and Kerala Backwaters.
- The Deccan Odyssey: This is a venture of Indian railways with Maharashtra MTDC. This 5-star hotel running on the rails covers heritage sites of the state on the Konkan route. It has 10 fully air-conditioned Deluxe Cabin saloons and 2 fully air-conditioned Presidential Suite saloons in it. In 3-8 lakhs per person, you can go from Mumbai to Delhi covering the Ajanta & Ellora Caves, the lake city of Udaipur, Ranthambore Tiger Reserve, the Pink city and Agra on way.
- Royal Rajasthan on Wheels: Another one catering to Rajasthan covers the heritage destinations of the state along with Varanasi, Agra and New Delhi.
These luxury trains are bound to give the travellers a lifetime experience that speaks of true Indian royalty and hospitality.